History

The Shasta Valley Resource Conservation District was formed in July of 1953 and reached its present boundaries in 1957. Under Division 9, Soil Conservation Districts were originally empowered to manage soil and water resources for conservation, but these powers were expanded in the early 1970s to include “related resources,” including fish and wildlife habitat.

The District is managed by five non-paid volunteer directors. Division 9 of the California Public Resources Code, Chapter 3, Article 7, Sections 9314 and 9316 recommends that the Board of Supervisors select appointments from an applicant’s list that are landowners within the district and have demonstrated interest in resource issues.

Today, the District’s Board consists of persons whose backgrounds vary from agriculture, academia, geology and environmental sciences. This diverse Board has given the District a capacity to better serve the diverse population within its boundaries as well as handle current resource issues.

The District is currently developing an Associate Director program that will directly focus on stakeholder interests. Associate Directors are appointed to the RCD Board and must attend a required number of Board meetings each year. Associate Directors cannot vote on actions taken by the Board but their input will be critical for making sure all Board members fully understand the issues under discussion and how they might impact local stakeholders.

Until 2003 funding and project implementation was primarily managed by the Great Northern Corporation. In July 2003, this responsibility moved to the District and additional staff have been hired to accommodate the needs of carrying out conservation and restoration projects, in addition to financial management. Currently, the District manages 44 open funding contracts and employs 5 permanent staff members. In addition to permanent staff, the District also employs 2 temporary staff members and about 12 seasonal employees who work with the California Department of Fish and Game to run the Rotary Screw Trap operations in both the Shasta and Scott Rivers.